For the Future Generations brief, I was looking at Cybernetic Organs as the idea was that I felt with the way our society is advancing with technology, transplants in the future would actually be cybernetic and not human or organic.
I spoke to Jon Pigott today about arduinos and what my next step should be in terms of making, as I want to cast my cybernetic organs in Pewter so Jon suggested some mock up’s on Rhino as I am stronger in that area than hand-drawing.
I spoke to Nathan afterwards who’s one of my classmates about the forms I wanted to create, as he’s more efficient with Rhino and I’m relatively okay. He suggested I looked up on google ‘construction of…’ matching whatever organ I was looking at making a mock up of.
I found this to be a helpful suggestion as I could then look at the different forms and match them relatively accurate using the Rhino tools. I split it up into sections by starting with the Superior Vena Cava, where I created a cylinder. I created two smaller cylinders and rotated them on two different angles to create the ‘pipes’ that are on the top of the Superior Vena Cava. To finish this, I created a small taurus to add to the left pipe. I repeated the process by using a cylinder, attaching a taurus to show the outlet for the Pulmonary Artery.
I then spoke to Charlie Bull about my design and she suggested that I download MeshMixer onto my laptop later at home so I could soften the edges and ‘sculpt’ into them more, so they become more realistic and less mechanical. Charlie also said that I was welcome to email her over the STL files on Friday and communicate via email to enhance my designs, ready for the next process of 3D Printing!
I ‘surgically’ attached the heart together piece by piece. I wanted to use Boolean Union to join up different sections of the heart but this failed for some unknown reason, so I ended up using the ‘Group’ tool, where I was able to attach everything together to complete the shell of my cybernetic heart design in CAD. I wanted to 3D print my outcomes but all the printers were unavailable so will be trying first thing in the morning!
After feeling so pleased with my mock up of my heart, I moved onto the construction of the human lungs. Alexis, one of my support workers, said it looked more like a rocket ship. So potentially you’ll be taking off if these are ever transplanted in you.
I predominantly used the Cylinder tool in Rhino, as it was easier to get the forms I desired. This developed into the airways and I used the Ellipsoid tool to create the main body of the lung design. The lungs didn’t take as long as the heart to design in Rhino, as I felt the heart was more complex, because that had more attachments to it than the lungs, which was simpler in design.