Prepping my Pewter Casting – Future Generations Cybernetic Organs

So this morning, I nipped over to studio 5 to see Martin about casting my Cybernetic lungs in Pewter. I started by softening plastercine before I started to roll it out. I laid out clingfilm over the top of the plastercine mould and then gently imprinted my lungs into the material. Martin used some sort of material to place around it and I had to place plastercine around all the sides, to prevent Pewter from leaking out the bottom when I go to cast it tomorrow.

In terms of my Cybernetic Heart, I have to re-think my materials, purely because it’s so complex with all the nodes and nodules sticking out, that it will not cast in Pewter. I could make a silicon mould then maybe a plaster mould  and eventually take it to bronze, but I am not sure how I feel about having different materials for each Cybernetic organ. Plus I worry about my time limit and know that Bronze is a long, drawn out process. I may either have to mock up another Cybernetic heart that’s less complex or figure out what other material I can use. That’s definitely my challenge for tomorrow.

Advertisements

Author: lawrenceaaronmaker

Studying a BA Hons in Artist, Designer; Maker at Cardiff Metropolitan University.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s