Pewter Casting Cybernetic Lungs

Yesterday afternoon, I went over to studio 5 and asked Martin if I could Pewter Cast now that my moulds were set and ready to use. Firstly, I had to gently pry apart the silicon mould. Once the mould was apart, Martin lightly dusted it with some black powder that I do not know is called but I’m guessing it helps the pewter not stick to the inside of the silicon moulds.


The next step was making clamps out of black metal to hold the mould together, to prevent Pewter slipping out of the edges. I made 7 clamps as it was an odd shape and four clamps wasn’t enough to hold it all together.

Today, I used the hand saw to cut off the excess pewter on my lungs and this took about 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, I obtained the file to gently file down the rough patches from where I sawed into the pewter cast. Once this was done, my Pewter Cast looked pretty awesome and I was very pleased with the outcome. Especially as it was the first pour and I hadn’t used Pewter before. I now know what to do when I go to pewter cast my other Cybernetic Organs soon.



Author: lawrenceaaronmaker

Studying a BA Hons in Artist, Designer; Maker at Cardiff Metropolitan University.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s