I took time experimenting with our basic shapes for my project brief in Subject, (reference: Siteless & Cited, see original post about brief in Subject) after becoming fascinated with mind puzzles that were generally square cubed or rectangular in shape and their mechanisms. I took time experimenting with blue foam from soft modelling, to further develop ideas and build visuals.
Whilst I was playing with the mind puzzles, I began to realise how jigsaw or puzzle pieces tie into Autism. As on a nationwide level, the Puzzle Piece symbol reflects the mystery and complexity of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Also, since every puzzle piece is different in some way, a puzzle piece accurately represents the diversity of the individuals affected.
This week, I have moved away from the puzzles and started looking at tubular shapes. I have a few sketches I will be scanning into my pc and uploading in another blog post, that are drawn based on tubing or tunnels and I am looking at interlocking both shapes in a sculptural/architectural form.
I headed into Martin’s workshop and asked him if I could make ceramic tubes. Martin was always, very helpful and came back with an extruder gun with multiple dyes. The dyes were sorted into scale and I chose to work with the one that was second to smallest as I didn’t want my tube structure to be exceedingly thick or chunky.
As you can see from the photos, the extruder gun pushes the clay out through the dye and in straight lines provided there is another person the other end of the extruder, guiding the clay to prevent it breaking or curling on itself.
Once I had enough clay strips, I started to gently bend them on the sides. This was to construct the tubing. I crosshatched the ends and used slip to bring them together. By the end of yesterday, I had quite a selection of ceramic tubes.
I began gently poking tiny precision holes into the longest tube. I sliced another tube into smaller tubes and began attaching them to the first tube. After a while, this started to build and now it looks like it has multiple purposes, which made me very happy with the end result.
This morning, I repeated the same method of making and have ended up with three ceramic tubular objects, that after lunch, I am taking into plaster to see what they’re like in plaster of Paris. I’ve been thoroughly enjoying moving from material to material, as each process has been distinct with contrasting textures to touch and feel.
I’m quite happy with my outcomes so far, as they are becoming more and more ambiguous. I’m excited as next weekend, I am going into the Bay to look at work that is similar to my project brief which I am hoping will spark more inspiration for my pieces.