Plaster of Paris Moulds – Tubular Structure.


After two weeks of wrapping my head around how I was going to cast one of my tubular structures in plaster, due to its organic nature and nodules. I started the first part of my mould on Friday 2 weeks ago and poured the second part this Friday just gone.

By the end of this week, I intend to have a four part mould completed so I can start mass produce tubular structures in slip and then proceed to get them fired, ready for the next stage of piecing everything together.

After sanding down excess plaster and removing clay, I found myself with a two part mould that has come out better than anticipated. I wasn’t so sure on the results as my tubing is so delicate and intricate that I wasn’t sure if the plaster mould would be a success.

I’m happy with the results of this outcome and I can’t wait to complete the mould so mass production can begin and I can start building up this frame I had in mind.

By placing the mould onto a white background, it becomes clinical. I am slowly starting to realise that myself as a maker, my core seems to consist of an interest in the body – after all, some of my structures look like arteries when turned one way or another and placed against a human chest.

I am still yet to discover myself what I want my audience to think or feel when this piece is exhibited but I am working towards finding out.


Author: lawrenceaaronmaker

Studying a BA Hons in Artist, Designer; Maker at Cardiff Metropolitan University.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s