Sandblasting – Field Timeline

I chose the Wood and Metal workshop this term for my Field Visual Timeline workshop criteria, because last year, I did glass and ceramics. I had no previous experience with the process of Sandblasting so I am happy with my choice.

Dallas gave a demonstration on two things: the mould making in sand that had agents of silica in it. Then how to mix the sand so we could independently mix up batches and come in and use the process whenever the workshop was free.

I created a 3-point diamond using Polystyrene. I outlined in pen the shape I wanted and used a small hand saw in soft modelling to cut out my desired shape. Once this was done, I went back to the wood workshop as I would next have to create 4 panels and a small board to rest my object on. The four panels would need to be precise as they were going to act as a small box on the board, to prevent sand seeping through.

I measured out four panels in pencil on a nice, clean sheet of wood and went to the band-saw.

After my four panels and the board was complete, I headed back into the forge. Using a hot glue gun, I glued on the outside only, so the panels would be free-standing and could withstand pressure.

Once the box was fixed, I lightly sprinkled talc inside the wood as this would help prevent the sand sticking to the wood when I will need to remove it later on.

The texture of the sand was quite moist to touch and was very therapeutic to handle. I thoroughly enjoyed moving the sand from its container into my small makeshift box, as I found the process calming. I had to put a layer of sand onto the base, gently beat it down with a wooden tool that had round edges and then repeat the process, until the sand reached the top of the walls.

Once the sand reached the top, I smoothed out the top using a small piece of wood. When the surface was smooth, I then put the plunger over the top of the surface, as this was hooked up to a tank of gas/oxygen. By gently blasting it, it started to make the sand harden on the top and would travel downwards. I also had to drill five holes in each side, so I could blast gas/oxygen into the sides, to make sure the entire mould was effected.

I repeated the same process in order to make a pouring cup for next Tuesday’s session. Overall, I am enjoying this process and very happy with my choice to do wood and metal this term.

Advertisements

Author: lawrenceaaronmaker

Studying a BA Hons in Artist, Designer; Maker at Cardiff Metropolitan University.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s