Wire Armature Hand.

Following on from my experimentation with a wire-framed hand last term, as well as casting hands using Marigold gloves, I found myself in Wilkinson’s and as I was wandering the aisles, I came across latex gloves and immediately had an idea. I brought the packet of latex gloves into uni the next day.

I created a wire armature, in the same nature as I did with my sculptural hand last term. Once I was happy with its framework, I spent half an hour carefully pulling a latex glove over the open framework. I found this tedious and frustrating, but was worth it in the long run.

I observed the framework for a while and decided to alter its skeleton – I started bending and manipulating the shape, so the fingers were more bent and looked like the hand was curling. Once I was happy with the shape, I went down to the plaster room to really experiment.

I mixed up a pint of plaster and once it was starting to set, I scooped up copious amounts of plaster into my hand and started to spread it across the latex glove. I had no idea if the plaster would stick to the latex or if this would even work, so it was a mystery gamble! Once the plaster dried out, there was chunks of plaster missing, with the latex showing through underneath. As soon as I go material shopping, I will be adding further to this material experimentation.

Advertisements

Author: lawrenceaaronmaker

Studying a BA Hons in Artist, Designer; Maker at Cardiff Metropolitan University.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s