Following the same pursuit with my plaster cast hands, inside a glove, I decided to use a latex glove instead. However, this time, I didn’t fill the glove fully and really added pressure onto different parts of the cast, to create a decaying element.
Once the plaster was set, I started to carefully rip back the latex glove, however, I did not remove it completely, as I liked the effect of the latex peeling off. By doing so, it created this element of skin peeling away from a deceased body. Also, the hand is not mounted on a board – I was trying out various mounting positions, different to that of my mounted plaster hands.
When the cast was dry, I started coating the entirety of the cast in PVA-water mixture, to seal the surface of the plaster and the latex, so I can paint them next week. The idea now, is to make the surface texture appear more lifelike and realistic, more so than it being a latex and plaster surface.