I took the prototype I developed in Rhino and 3D printed into Martin’s workshop to cast it in silicon, as I want to be able to take it into resin at a later stage. I got out the plasticine and rolled it out till it was larger in scale than my prototype.
Once I had it the right length, I started removing the excess plasticine and got a small selection of modelling tools, as I needed to start building a trench for my prototype to sit in.
Once I was content with how it fit into the plasticine, I started wrapping the walls around my mould so I could get ready to do the first pour.
With the help of Martin, who measured out the right quantity of materials, we mixed up 250ml of silicon. Once it was all efficiently stirred, I began to pour my cast.
I repeated the same process with the second half of the cast, but due to field, I have not had time to go back to Martin’s workshop to check to see if the casts have come out right or if they need re-doing. But once they’re done, it means I just have to wait for the LED lights to arrive in the post, before I can take the prototype into resin.