This morning I went over to Martin’s workspace to see if my silicon cast had been successful, as if not, I would have to re-cast it to try keep on track with the schedule I have set myself.
I was quite pleased to find that the cast had been successful. The only real issue there was, was the second pour of silicon overlapped the base layer and the middle seam was sealed in. So with gentle prying, I managed to open the seam and only occasionally used the scalpel to free the two part mould.
I was very pleased with how the silicon picked up detail from the 3D printed prototype and I am excited for the LED lights to arrive in the post, so I can move onto the next stage. I aim to wire up the LED lights next week, ready to take the process into resin. I am hoping the resin will encapsulate the LEDs, as I discussed with Martin that I needed to have the resin almost transparent, for the light to come through. However, if this does fail for whatever reason – it’s all experimentation at this stage – I have a backup plan and will start work towards that if all else fails.