For my Light project in Field, I was developing my outcome further by being able to cast in transparent resin. I chose transparent resin because the sensory toy needs to be see-through for the lights to shine through. Following on from my PDP with Jon Pigott, I chose to incorporate coloured inks into the casting, to see what sort of effect they give.
I created the pouring hole by firstly using a lino cutter, that wasn’t doing a very good job. I moved onto using a small blade and cut away the unnecessary silicon to create the pour hole. Once this was done, I moved onto mixing up 50 grams of transparent resin with 13 drops of hardener. I stirred the mix thoroughly, before pouring small quantities onto the lids of small containers I owned.
I used the dropper on the inks to drop colour into the transparent resin so I could start incorporating coloured inks.
I painted over a thin lining of transparent resin after the coloured inks had set and dried, and left the thin layer to dry. Once the resin was set, I mixed up 150 grams of transparent resin and poured.
I was advised to wait until Monday before revealing the cast, so now it is a waiting game until Monday when I can see what my resin outcome looks like. I am intrigued to see how the inks have taken with the transparent resin and what sort of effects they give.